- The opacity of the body in movement, gesticulating, walking, taking its pleasure, is what indefinitely organises a here in relation to an abroad, a “familiarity” in relation to a “foreignness.”
- Michel de Certeau
Leeds in West Yorkshire is twinned with Dortmund in the Ruhr Valley. Huddersfield, roughly 15 miles away from Leeds, is twinned with Unna which is about 15 kilometres away from Dortmund.
Walking the Walk
- In a dérive one or more persons during a certain period drop their usual motives for movement and action, their relations, their work and leisure activities, and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the encounters they find there.
- Guy Debord
In his Introduction To A Critique Of Urban Geography, Guy Debord mentions a friend wandering around the mountainous Harz region of Germany while following a map of London.
It is intended to use this process of superimposition to investigate the urban, suburban and rural spaces and places between the twin towns.
A route along roads between Dortmund and Unna will be transposed to the territory between Leeds and Huddersfield. With some concessionary amendments to ensure the viability of the German route through the English landscape, it will inscribe a derive to be undertaken by a small handpicked team of people.
On 17th October 2010 this group of wanderers at play will walk between Leeds and Huddersfield following the superimposed route.
The participants will interact with the actual environment that they are walking through (Over Here), and the German route they are following (Over There) throughout the journey.
Inscribing the over there path by realtime GPS transmission during their journey over here.
Describing in tweets and photographs the attractions of the terrain and the encounters they have as their adventure unfolds.
Comparing over here actualities with over there possibilities.
- Who is the third that walks beside you?
- William S. Burroughs & Brion Gysin
Merging layers, folding in dual impressions, cutting and splicing between here and there to produce a third recombinant landscape here where you can follow their progress, talk to participants, and add observations of your own.
Talking the Walk
A 15 minute performance lecture.
About the 15 mile Over Here Over There walk.
- 0: The body in movement, gesticulating, walking, taking its pleasure; or, the derive.
- 3: Over here.
- 6: Over there.
- 9: Over here over there.
- 12: The floor.
- 15: Finit.